2011年9月13日火曜日

Summer Book Report... "The Hobbit"

The Hobbit
     For Summer Book Report, I read "The Hobbit," a fantasy novel written by J.R.R. Tolkien.

     I chose this novel for this assignment because I like "The Lord of the Rings," which is a novel written by Tolkien, and I wanted to enjoy the world made by him more. Another reason is that I heard "The Hobbit" will become movie in 2012. I would like to read the novel version before I watch the movie.

     In this story, growth of the main character, Bilbo
Baggins through tough adventure is mainly written. One morning, Bilbo Baggins, who is a hobbit, meets Gandalf, the wizard, in front of his house. First he rejects the offer of Gandalf, but next day, he changes his mind. After rejecting, Bilbo invites Gandalf to next day's tea party. However, the guest is not only Gandalf. Without saying anything to Bilbo, he comes to the party with 13 dwarves. Bilbo gets confused at first, but when he hears story of dwarves, he decides to go for the adventure to get dwarves' treasures back.

     As it is written in former paragraph, the main character Bilbo is not a man, but hobbit. Hobbit is a short man with cheerful characteristic. Other than hobbit, there are some kinds of characters that are not man. For example, Gandalf is a wizard, who is wise and able to use magic. The companies of Bilbo and Gandalf are dwarves, who are shorter than ordinary man and have long beard. Characters who appear in this story are so unique and attractive. These characters are one of the biggest charms of Tolkien's stories.

     The best scene for me is when Bilbo succeeds to save his companies by killing the Great Spider, which is huge and evil. Before this scene, Bilbo is called by dwarves "burglar," which means thief, with no respect. However, he changes when he kills the Great Spider by himself. He gets confidence and courage by this experience and he successfully saves dwarves. I was impressed by Bilbo's challenge and thought that it is good to attack to hard problem because that experience is connected to the growth of me.

     The scene I do not like is when Thorin, the most important dwarf dies. He dies in the Battle of Five Army, the battle of dwarves, elves (beautiful people who have everlasting life), and men versus goblins and Wargs (the evil wolves). In this battle, Thorin loses his life, but he becomes able to sleep forever with his most important treasure. I was so sad when I read this scene because Thorin succeeds to get back his treasure, but for me, important treasure has its meaning only when a master is alive.

    To say as a conclusion, I want to recommend this novel and novels written by J.R.R. Tolkien to who loves fantasy story because Tolkien is one of the best author of the fantasy story in the world. I hope you will become interested in "The Hobbit" and other stories written by Tolkien!

4 件のコメント:

  1. Hi! I read your reaction.
    I'm interested in "The Hobbit" because of the movie, but I haven't read it yet.

    I like to read fantasy story, and your summary of this story sounds exciting for me. And I'm also attracted by the scene you didn't like. The worthy of the life is very difficult question for me, so I want to think about that through this story.

    I want to read this book!
    Thank you :D

    返信削除
  2. I agree your opinion that the characters in Tolkien’ book are very attractive. The characters and the world of book which thought and created deeply make his stories more exciting. I would like to read this book when I read your jounal which shows you really like this book. I have read “The Lord of the Ring” in Japanese, but I haven’t read “The Hobbit” yet. I have this book written in Japanese so I want to read when I have time to read.

    返信削除
  3. "The Lord of the Rings" was made into a movie, and "The Hobbit" will be... What a great writer Tolkien is! I've heard that "The Lord of the Rings" is "Harry Potter 100 years ago"

    "Important treasure has its meaning only when a master is alive". I found this idea interesting. There must be a thing whose preciousness is never found when the master is dead.

    返信削除
  4. Nice book reaction, Aili! Well-written with an insightful reaction. I agree that Tolkien is a master of character description and fantasy and I am glad to see that you enjoyed this tale!

    返信削除